First results from the Managed Aquifer Recharge (MAR) catalogue were presented during the 8th International Symposium on Managed Aquifer Recharge (ISMAR8) in Beijing (China) to the scientific community. Although other databases on MAR sites exist, the catalogue developed in the FP7 project DEMEAU holds the most updated and comprehensive information on European MAR sites up to now.
The objectives of the European MAR catalogue are:
- to provide an information platform of key operational and hydrogeological parameters during managed aquifer recharge
- to improve trust in the performance of MAR to overcome barriers for implementation
- to identify knowledge gaps
- to identify characteristic performance parameters such as operational scale or hydraulic conductivity
The European MAR catalogue is a database where data entry, display and modifications can be made by user friendly interfaces (find a news story on the deliverable here). Information was acquired from more than 250 research papers, reports or websites compiled by DEMEAU partners from Netherlands, Spain and Germany. Information obtained from the catalogue was used to:
- illustrate the historical development of MAR sites,
- show the spatial distribution of most commonly used MAR types and final uses of MAR water, and
- describe key parameters such as operational scale and aquifer properties typical for different MAR types.
Results were disseminated by Friedemann Scheibler (IGRAC) and Christoph Sprenger (KWB) through oral presentation during the “MAR to market: Strategies to bring Managed Aquifer Recharge technique to the industry. Some examples for Mediterranean countries” workshop and a poster session (find the poster here). The workshop was organised to develop strategies to bring MAR techniques to the industry.
Find all other ISMAR posters will be available for download here.