Welcome to the DEMEAU tool box for Managed Aquifer Recharge.
This tool box is an information platform for Managed Aquifer Recharge (MAR) and contains theoretical considerations, guidelines for laboratory tests and field investigations, information of MAR case studies, and recommendations for a wide range of various aspects of MAR. The following information can be found:
The basic concepts of MAR are introduced here, describing the various MAR techniques by:
- giving a general background covering all relevant MAR types
- providing basic information on the fate and transport of emerging contaminants
MAR techniques are widely applied in Europe. In this context, the DEMEAU project developed an:
- Inventory of European MAR sites. This catalogue includes information from more than 270 sites.
- Overview of previous and current MAR projects in Europe
- Analysis of EU and selected national legislation and recommendations for future MAR implementation in compliance with European water directives
3. Feasibility and assessment studies are necessary to evaluate potential impacts from an environmental and human health perspective and to ensure proper MAR system performance adapted to local conditions. This tool box column gives information for (pre-)feasibility and assessment studies including:
- Information about hydrogeological pre-requisites
- A review of important parameters for trace organic compounds removal
- Field and laboratory tests
- An analysis of long-term data to identify potential environmental impacts
4. Profiling of MAR sites aims at summarizing essential site specific information to characterise MAR profiles. The MAR profile allows displaying main features of sites at a glance and is shown here for the DEMEAU sites